Thursday, August 25, 2005

Terms and Titles

People often ask me... so what type of Christian are you? Evangelical? Baptist? Born-again? Catholic? Orthodox? Etc...

Hmmm... I think there are differences on how the Truth is taught in a particular group... but I don't think titles are important... but what is important is what's the state of the individuals relationship to Jesus is.

Let's look at the heart of it all... beyond the group name... The heart of what being a Christian is all about. "Christian" (as generally accepted) is a title given to someone who is a follower of Christ. But I submit to you - that not everyone who says, "I'm a Christian" is a "Christian"... some people live lives as if "Christianity" is a badge.

Regardless of group affiliation... Christians call Jesus as "Lord". My friend, I'm sure if you're a part of any of the Christian groups... at one point in your life... you called Jesus as "Lord"; maybe in the prayers you pray... especially at hard times... but let me show you what Jesus said 2000 years ago as testified in the Bible...

"Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say?" (Luke 6:46)

"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven." (Matthew 7:21)

Hmm, do we only call him Lord... in our prayers? What does it mean to call someone Lord in the first place? During the olden days, the title of Lord wasn't merely a title given to someone. It talks about authority, talks about having the say, talks about giving your allegience. During medieval times - servants died for their lords... knights fought and died for their king. Servants followed each and every command even if it will mean their lives - that's how heavy the word lord is.

In our modern world... Lord might mean boss... in an office scenario... your boss is the one who calls the shots... the one who you follow... I doubt it if any employee will say no to his or her 'boss'.

Plain and simple lordship demands obedience... Now let's see... hmmm, are we serious when we call Jesus Lord? or is it simply a title that we put besides his name? Hmmm, you might answer... "yes I call him Lord and I'm serious... I follow his commandments!" Now I ask you, what do you think of the following verses below?

"You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.' But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brotherwill be subject to judgment." (Matthew 5:21-22)

"You have heard that it was said, 'Do not commit adultery.' But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart." (Matthew 5:27-28)

What do you think? :) Search your heart my friend... do you call Jesus 'Lord' as a title or 'Lord' because he has total dominion over your life? Do you really live-up to what Jesus asks of you? Are you really a Christian? :) I'll be elaborating on this topic in my succeeding posts :D

Oh by the way... going back to the question above... I answer "I'm a Christian", people usually respond, "born again?"... I respond... "Christians go through the process of being born-again, it's not a title connected to being a Christian... so to answer you question... I'm a Christian" :)

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come." (2 Corinthians 5:17)

No comments: